Information from FESA website www.fesa.wa.gov.au
Fires that start in kitchens are very common. In the 2010 to 2011 financial year 312 fires started in residential kitchens in Western Australia causing damage estimated at $5,050,700.00.
- When cooking, never leave food unattended on a stove
- Avoid wearing loose clothing when cooking as it may catch alight
- Never hang items such as tea towels near stoves or on cooking appliances
- Take care when cooking with fats and oils
- Turn off cooking appliances after use
- Clean and maintain cooking appliances, exhaust fans and range hood filters.
If oil or fat catches alight:
- Turn off the heat source
- Do not move flaming oil or fat
- Cover with lid or wooden chopping board
- Use an extinguisher if available.
- If an extinguisher is unavailable, call Triple Zero (000)